After brief welcome remarks, the workshop began with an introduction to U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) programs and resources by Cynthia Harris, Economic Development Specialist with the San Diego District Office of the SBA. San Diego CITD Director, Victor Castillo, then presented on how companies can assess their export potential and develop an export plan. Jim MacLellan, Director of Trade Development for the Port of Los Angeles, gave an overview of top export markets for Southern California, strategic advantages of the region, and practical steps to reduce risk when exporting. The workshop concluded with a presentation by Philip Finiello, Foreign Service Commercial Officer with the U.S. Department of Commerce, on services and resources available through the U.S. Commercial Service to help U.S. companies access business opportunities around the world.
Additional workshops in the series will cover topics including:
- Internet Export Marketing – Establish Effective Branding Online
- Legal, Contractual and Regulatory Aspects (Trade Compliance)
- Logistics & Shipping Documents
- Export Trade Finance & Insurance/Getting Paid
- Export Sales Techniques/Port & Airport Services