Use the interactive map below to view Foreign Trade Zone and Enterprise Zone boundaries for San Diego County. Boundary layers can be turned on/off using the “Layers” button.
Use the Find Address feature to see if your business address is located within the zones. Click on the for contact information on organizations/agencies that provide international trade assistance or assistance with these incentive zones.
Foreign Trade Zones (FTZs) provide special benefits to businesses that operate within it’s boundaries including:
- Duty Deferral – Delayed payment of duties on goods that enter the U.S. market
- Duty Exemption – No duties on or quota charges on imported goods that are later re-exported
- Inverted Tariff – Manufacturing-specific benefits – with case-by-case approval by the FTZ Board – that can include reduction of duties if a lower tariff rate applies to the finished product leaving the zone than the tariff rates that would have applied on foreign components.
- Logistical Benefits – Reductions in merchandise processing fees because zone users may be able to file a single customs “entry” (and pay a single fee) per week rather than making multiple entries during the course of a week
- Other Benefits – Elimination of duties on waste, scrap and rejected or defective parts
- Manufacturing Equipment Sales & Use Tax Exemption
- Employment Credit – For hiring new employees from targeted areas and socio-economic backgrounds
- Income Tax Credit – Based on number of jobs created/retained, amount of investment in the area, and economic impact
- The Enterprise Zone Job Referral Service will assist with recruitment and pre-screening for new employees at no cost and will provide the necessary verification for you to claim tax credits on their wages.
- City staff can expedite permit applications and serve as liaison with other City departments.
- Certain development fees may be reduced or waived.
- New development projects located in the City’s Enterprise Zones are eligible for direct assistance by the City. Assistance includes help in determining project application requirements, fast track permit processing, liaison help in the development process.
- The City can provide an exemption from urban impact fees and housing trust fund fees.